Welcome to the latest episode of THE 250!
Hosted by Andrew Quinn and Darren Mooney, The 250 is a fortnightly trip through some of the best (and worst) movies ever made, as voted for by Internet Movie Database Users. New episodes are released every second Saturday at 6pm GMT, with the occasional bonus episode between them. This week, the pair are joined by Babu Patel and Giovanna Rampazzo, with thanks to Siraj Zaidi and The Indian Film Festival of Ireland.
This time, Ashutosh Gowariker’s Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India.
During British rule, a small Indian village comes together to play a cricket match against the local British regiment. In a season without rain, the stakes are high. If the villagers win, they will be spared taxation for three years; if the villagers lose, they will have to pay triple tax. It is all to play for.
At time of recording, it was ranked the 249th best movie of all time on the Internet Movie Database.
- Recorded 8th July 2017.
- Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India at The Internet Movie Database.
- The website of The Indian Film Festival of Ireland.
- Sheela Raval at India Today looks at the making of Lagaan, June 2001.
- Aamir Khan discusses the production of Lagaan with The Guardian at the BFI, October 2002.
- Aamir Khan discusses the impact and legacy of Lagaan with Rediff, June 2011.
- Asutosh Gowarikar talks to CNN about the international success of Lagaan, July 2002.
- Roger Ebert reviews Lagaan at RogerEbert.com, June 2002.
- The Economist looks at the popularity of cricket in India, February 2014.
- Follow The 250 on Twitter.
- Subscribe to The 250 on iTunes.
- Listen to The 250 on Black Hole Media.